Monday, August 31, 2009

            I had my first Russian class today and it will be an interesting experience.  I am not sure how I am going to do this.  The language is so different and based on a different alphabet.  At least there are about 11 people who have never taken Russian either so I am not crazy and not totally alone.  I would write some of the words I learned in class but I haven’t figured out how to do that on my computer.  Maybe, one day I’ll just upload some of my Russian homework. 

            In terms of the city though, it is much better than what I expected and wrote about before.  The city is much more busy and active now.  I think it was just the fact that is raining all day and on the weekends many Russians go to the country.  But we took the Metro to Nevsky Road, which is a main area.  I loved it down there; it felt like a big city.  The only thing I am worried about is that many people get pick pocketed here so I will have to learn to travel light and just be super aware of my surroundings.  But there is a lot to do and shop for down there.  I am going to buy a Russian Cosmo down there.  Also, there are many movies for sale here that aren’t even out in the States, like the Hangover and its 5 dollars. I don’t know how good it is but I am going to buy one and let you know. And so far it is very difficult to find Russian music, all the music is from America or England.  I’m trying to fully immerse myself into the culture and the language through various aspects.  I am hoping that not hearing English constantly will help me learn better or faster.  Oh and we found a great grocery market so I will not come back emaciated.  I am getting enough food, mama (that is mother in Russian but there are no humps in the m’s so picture it as a lower case m with a capital letter M’s characteristics.).

            Oh so interesting fact.  Over 70% of the foreign students who come to Russia to study are Chinese.  Also, I have a question for many of you: Should I take 12 credits or 15?  I am just not sure what I want to do because I want to take Contemporary Russian life (politics class) and Russian Orthodox Religion and its History (for my religious studies upper division credit).  If I do 12 credits then I have to pick between the two, and I am so interested to study these topics in Russia and from a Russian point of view.  Any help would be much appreciated. 

 

With Much Love,

Emma (the russian name I can pronounce)

4 comments:

  1. I say you defiantly take contemporary russian, now I do 15 hours every semester, so I would totally go for both, but that's just me. And we both know i'm insane ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I miss you! The blog is AWESOME and it's so fun to hear about your experience and what you are doing. Enjoy every moment. Two thoughts: 12 credits lets you explore more, but 15 credits you won't get a class behind. Either way, it will all work out! Much love, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Joy! But I think you should go with 15 and explore anyway. I think you can handle it :) If you go with 12, take comtemporary russian.

    ReplyDelete